Head Fanatic plays 4 sports

By Michael Aronson

Out of the 12 possible athletic seasons an athlete can play in high school , Kristen Lee ’12 has played in 14 of them. 

The varsity field hockey player, water polo player, swimmer and JV track runner will have 11 varsity letters by the end of her high school athletic career after four years on the girls’ water polo and swim team and three years on the varsity field hockey team. Lee plays goalkeeper in water polo and midfield in field hockey.

The Berkeley commit enjoys field hockey the most because it was the sport she grew watching and she spends the majority of her time playing that sport.

“Field hockey is easily my favorite sport,” Lee said. “I grew up watching my sister play, and I have made some of my best and hopefully lifelong friendships through this sport.”

Despite the ample time devoted to field hockey, Lee has put in many hours practicing water polo and was part of the State Championship winning squad last year. 

On top of the four sports she plays, Lee is a Head Fanatic specifically in charge of bringing crowds to normally crowd-less games.

“I think I’m just so enthusiastic about Harvard-Westlake sports in general that I want to go to most sporting events, even if they’re not football or basketball games,” Lee said. “I know the sports I play are not generally crowd-drawers, but I just want to get fans out to as many games as possible, even if it’s not my sport.”

Lee feels she has a flexible schedule in terms of practices in the spring season despite playing two sports at once. 

“In the past, [playing both sports] has worked out because I have been able to go to morning swimming workouts and still go to track in the afternoons. If meets ever conflict, I usually have to just pick one, but there were times last year I would have to run back and forth from the pool to the track and compete in two meets at the same time,” Lee said. “I actually enjoyed them though.”

Lee has led the field hockey team to a 9-1 record overall and 5-0 in league as of press time, and seeks a second straight CIF championship with the girls this winter, a feat that Lee thinks it not out of the question with the girls’ talent this year.