Football crushed by Chaminade

By Luke Holthouse

A 49-point deficit at halftime proved too big a hole for the varsity football team to even challenge, as the Wolverines lost at Chaminade 55-0, who is now ranked 18th in the state. Chaminade running back Terrell Newby II, who is currently being recruited by multiple Divsion I teams, dominated the Wolverines defense scoring three touchdowns on 120 rushing yards in just the first half. 

“I think their speed and physicality won out tonight,” Head Coach Vic Eumont said. “It’s one thing to get beat by a team that surprises you. They just did the same thing they always do and we couldn’t do anything about it.”

Linebacker Alex Cadiff ’13 said that the team had a chance to beat Chaminade, but did not match Chaminade’s intensity and made too many mistakes early on to stay in the games. The Wolverines had several turnovers, fumbled snaps and a missed field goal attempt.

The loss dropped the Wolverines to 0-2 in league, after a close loss last week to St. Francis. Eumont said that the team will need to win all three of their remaining games if they have any hopes of making the playoffs.

The Wolverines will travel to Cathedral this Friday. The Phantoms are also 0-2 in the Mission League this season.

For a live blog of the game: http://bit.ly/ps7j2c