Girls’ Volleyball finishes off season with win on Senior Night

By Charlton Azuoma

In a night that celebrated the contributions of the seniors on the girls’ volleyball team, the Wolverines defeated Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy in their last home game of the season.

Hitters Lucy Tilton ’12, and Victoria Pearson ’12 as well as liberos Katie Price ’12 and Sofia Davila ’12 were honored before the game for what was to be their last time suiting up for the girls volleyball program. Tilton ’12 and Price ‘12 were unable to play because of their injuries.

“During the speeches, I think all of us were getting a little emotional. The juniors and sophomores did a great job with everything,” Tilton ’12 said.

The team jumped out to an early 1-set lead, winning the first easily 25-17. After that, things got interesting as the FSHA wouldn’t be sent home without a fight. The visitors squared things off with a 23-25 win in the following set.

Determined to finish the season off strong, the Wolverines returned the favor with a 25-23 win of their own in the third set before ultimately finishing the match off with a 25-19 win in the fourth and final set.

The win finalizes their overall record at 12-17 and their league record at a even 5-5. The Wolverines did not qualify for CIF playoffs this season, but will be looked at as a strong competitor next year as they will have 8 returning seniors in 2012.

“I’m going to miss playing with everyone, and senior night definitely ended our season on a good note,” Tilton ’12 said.