Boys’ tennis loses to University High, sweeps at Palm Desert

By Luke Holthouse

The lone blemish on the near-perfect season of the boys’ tennis team was a loss to University High School on March 6, the same team that defeated the Wolverines in the Finals of CIF playoffs last year.

Besides the Wolverines’ 11-3 loss at University, they have won all six of their other matches.

The season opened with a 14-3 victory at Brentwood on Feb. 28 before the team defeated Calabasas on Feb. 29. For the team’s home opener at Los Angeles Valley College on March 1, the team defeated Santa Monica 12-6.

The next week, after the loss at University, the Wolverines hosted San Marino on March 8, also winning 12-6.

The Wolverines then traveled to Palm Springs to take on Peninsula and Corona Del Mar between March 9-10. The team beat Peninsula 12-4 before winning 10-8 against Corona Del Mar. The Wolverines defeated Corona Del Mar in the quarterfinals of CIF playoffs last year.

The team played Palos Verdes yesterday but results were unavailable as of press time.

Co-captain Jeffrey Bu ’12 said that he feels optimistic about the team’s chances in playoffs because it has beaten strong opponents without some of its players due to conflicts or injuries. Co-captain Jackson Frons ’12, Dylan Eisner ’13 and Harrison Kalt ’13 were all absent from the trip to Palm Springs due to injuries.

“If we’re at full strength, I say we’ll be really good,” Bu said.

The team begins its league season today when they host Notre Dame. The Wolverines have won the Mission League every year since 1997.