Candidate Statement: Varun Gadh ’14

1. For what position are you running?

I am running for Junior Class Prefect.

2. What makes you feel that you are qualified for the position? Please describe any leadership experiences you’ve had, if applicable.

I believe that I can provide a willingness to work hard and and an openness to input.  In activities and groups I fit into a leadership role, sometimes simply by example and often by direction, but am always willing and open to receive input from all groups.  To be fair to those around me, I push myself to work the best that I can.  With regards to specific leadership experiences, I co-founded several clubs at the Middle School, and am taking a leadership position in the Indian Club this year.  Overall, I am very interested in helping the Harvard-Westlake community as much as I can, and feel that leading with listening as a Prefect is a great way to do so.

3. How do you feel about the Honor Board and what has led you to feel this way?

I feel that the Honor Board is one of several institutions that help keep Harvard-Westlake a tight-knit, trust-based community.  It is truly a great thing that we can have the students we elect as a community help solve problems and assist students in learning from mistakes, while working directly with members of the administration.  I read the honor board statements when they are released, and I feel that the Honor Board has a good example of the kind of direct student to administration contact I would like to increase if elected. 

4. Please describe one thing in Harvard-Westlake’s community you would change. Also, how would you use the influence of the position of Junior/Senior Prefect to change our community?

One of the duties of a Prefect is being a link between the administration, faculty, and student body.  With that in mind, I would work to help foster more direct communication between the student body and administration.  If a student wishes to find out about administrative decisions or schedules, set up a program or group, or simply express his or her opinion regarding an idea, but is not a Prefect, it could be difficult to establish a mode of communication.  While there have been passive forms of communication, such as a suggestion box, in the past, I feel this is not enough.  It is the student government’s responsibility to assist in correspondence and communication between all three groups, so the possibility of establishing a committee is definitely present.  That being said, a committee may not be the best way to help the situation.  As of now, I can promise this-  if elected, I will use the influence given as Junior Prefect to work with the administration and fellow prefects in finding the best possible solution for the fostering of more direct, efficient, and frequent communication between the Student Body, Faculty and the School Administration.