Win over Oaks Christian ends vollyball’s regular season

By Luke Holthouse

Charlie Porter ’12 celebrated his Senior Night with 16 kills to lead the boys’ volleyball team to a four-set victory over Oaks Christian tonight. The Wolverines closed out their regular season on a four-game winning streak with wins over league opponents Crespi, Alemany and Notre Dame last week. Tonight’s non-league win improved the Wolverines to 17-9 overall. And at 8-4 in league, the Wolverines finished tied with Crespi for second place in the seven-team Mission League.

By finishing as one of the top four teams in the Mission League, the Wolverines automatically qualify for CIF playoffs, which begin next Monday. Last year, the Wolverines were knocked out in the first round by Newport Harbor of playoffs after finishing in fourth place in the Mission League and receiving a poor seeding. Jake Schapiro ’12 said last week that the team should receive a higher seed this season by finishing second in league, giving it a better shot at making a deep run into playoffs.

Because the Wolverines and the Celts were tied for second in the Mission League, a coin flip determined which team would get the higher seed. Crespi won the flip, so they will have home court for the first round and the Wolverines will have to go on the road.

The playoff brackets will be released Sunday at noon.