Football dominates North Hollywood despite lighting issue

By Luke Holthouse

Not even a power outage could stop  the varsity football team from lighting up the scoreboard against North Hollywood earlier tonight. Receiver Chris Sebastian ’13 had a touchdown catch and returned a kickoff for a touchdown to lead the Wolverines to a 57-13 win.

“We played hard and we were flying around out there,” Sebastian said. “That’ll always produce a good result.”

The Wolverines scored on their first two possessions before the on-field lights went out and stopped play for about 15 minutes. 

“I’m not an electrician,” first-year Head Coach Scot Ruggles said of the light issues. “It was good to see somebody fix that.” 

Two plays after maintenance resolved the technical difficulties, the Wolverines added another touchdown score to make it 21-7 off a rushing touchdown from quarterback Chad Kanoff ’13 . The Wolverines scored 29 unanswered points following Kanoff’s score, ultimately winning by a 44 margin. 

Following last week’s loss to Loyola, the win tonight improved the Wolverines to 1-1 overall.

“No discredit to North Hollywood, but Loyola is a Pac-5 team and it was going to be a tougher game,” Sebastian said. “But we did a good job today in all phases today.”

The Wolverines visit Granada Hills next week, a team that has shut out both of its opponents this season. They defeated Reseda 17-0 last week and beat Sun Valley 55-0 last night.

“I would say we’ve got some pretty good opponents,” Ruggles said. “Any time you shut out two people, that’s pretty good.” 

The win for Ruggles was the first of his head coaching career at Harvard-Westlake.