Football shut outs Granada Hills to improve to 2-1

By Luke Holthouse

Six Wolverines scored touchdowns during the varsity football team’s shutout 45-0 win over the Granada Hills Highlanders Friday night.

“I think everybody had a great game,” Head Coach Scot Ruggles said. “Anytime you can have a lot of guys get into the endzone, then that’s a team victory.”

Quarterback Chad Kanoff ’13 hit Julian Shabahang ’14, Clinton Hooks ’13, Chris Sebastian ’13 and Anthony Uolla ’14 for touchdowns in the first half to give the Wolverines a 28-0 lead going into the locker room.

In the second half, running backs Cory King ’13 Alex Cadiff ’13 scored rushing touchdowns on the Wolverines’ first two possessions. With a 42-0 lead and about five minutes left in the third quarter, backup quarterback Albert Choi ’15 replaced Kanoff behind center and led the Wolverines to a field goal.

The field goal from kicker Jack Temko ’13 was his first of the year and boosted the lead to 45 points.

The Highlanders had shut out both of their opponents before the loss against Harvard-Westlake.

Defensively and on special teams, the Wolverines forced three interceptions and blocked a punt en route to the shutout. Granada Hills had scored 72 points over its first two games in wins over Reseda and Sun Valley. 

“[Granada Hills] is a team that’s put up a lot of points in two games,” Ruggles said. “It’s always good to play well on both sides. It was a total team victory in all three phases.” 

The Wolverines improved to 2-1 overall and have yet to start league play. They host non-league opponent Sylmar, who lost to the Wolverines by a score of 49-13 last year, next Friday.