Field hockey hires new assistant, attends national tournament

Brenna Moeljadi ’07 was once a player for Erin Creznic on the varsity field hockey team. Five years later, Moeljadi is back, but now as Creznic’s new assistant coach.

One of the immediate issues that Moeljadi and the team will have to face is the injury of rising senior and co-captain Taylor Lee ’13. Although she tore her ACL and is out for the season, certain team members are not looking at as a detriment.

“Taylor is by no means a lost member,” Co-captain Elana Meer ’13 said. “She’s not going to be playing but she’s still a huge part of our team and she’s still coming to practices and giving the team advice.”

Moeljadi has already been implementing new technique into the teams play. She previously played field hockey at Indiana University and has coached various club teams.

Moeljadi has been a great addition to the team, co-captain and rising senior Katie Lim ’13 said.

“It’s clearly evident that she knows what she’s talking about and the new drills she’s been introducing only proves it further,” Lim said.

She said because she was coached by Erin Creznic while at Harvard-Westlake they already had a very strong relationship.

“I really want the girls to focus not on their wins and losses, but how they play throughout the season and try to improve through every game,” said Moeljadi. “My personal goal as coach is to make them focus on how they are performing rather than the outcome of the games.”

The team competed in the five day KSA Fall Classic field hockey tournament in Orlando, Fla. where they played against teams from all over the country.

“Being able to play tough teams like that while given the opportunity to travel together will give us an edge,” Lim ’13. “It’s just such a great opportunity for growth on our team, both on the field and off.”

They lost their first game against Southern Regional High School, 1-0, however, they won their second game 6-1 against Ketcham High School.

They won their final two games against Presentation High School and Clarkstown South High School, 2-1 and 8-0 respectively.

The team will start off the season on Sept. 4 against Newport Harbor.