Boys basketball defeats Calabasas High School

Ryan Razmjoo

The boys basketball team defeated Calabasas High School 64-48 in Taper Gym Tuesday to improve 3-0 this season. The team started well offensively scoring 20 points in the first quarter, and followed with a strong defensive performance in the second quarter holding its opponent to eight points. The game was streamed on HWTV where 432 viewers tuned-in as spectators are prohibited due to COVID-19 restrictions.  

Point guard Cubin Molzen ’22 said that the team’s strategy was to improve from their last game and grow stronger as a team. Molzen also said that the team played more cohesively as the game progressed.

“Coming into the game we were looking to take some steps forward from our last game and our approaching mentality was that the game was about us and our team not the opponents,” Molzen said. “We didn’t start as well as we wanted to, but we were able to come together and start playing for each other instead of ourselves, resulting in a good team win.” 

Point guard Dahnté Russell ’22 said that the team still has not played its best basketball yet and said he looks forward to the rest of the season. 

“[It was a] solid game, still have more work to do. The best has yet to come.”

The team has also defeated Agoura Hills High School and Village Christian School, and these wins mark a strong start to the season for the Wolverines. The team made a very deep run in the CIF-SS Open-Division playoffs last year, and despite the loss of four senior starters, the squad has managed to remain undefeated.  

Looking forward, Molzen said that the team benefitted from the win and he looks forward to his next game against Damien High School on April 1. 

“For us, this game helped us build momentum and continue to improve towards our game on Thursday against a very good Damien team, who we beat last year.”