Freshman jumper wins State Championship

A select few names hover high on the banners of Taper Gymnasium, emanating the immortality that comes with a California State Championship. For the distinction of winning a State Title in track and field, Lindsay Flacks ’04, Cami Chapus ’12 and Amy Weissenbach ’12 have thus far had their names lifted into the rafters. After Saturday’s California State track and field Finals, they’ll have to make room for one more: Courtney Corrin ’16.

One of four Wolverines competing at State Finals on Saturday, Corrin leaped 20 feet, 9.25 inches into both the sand pit and the winner’s circle, topping off her historical first season with a California State long jump championship.

The freshman adds the State Title to her long-winded résumé, which also includes three school records, CIF Southern Section championships, several meet records and a number one national ranking in girls’ long jump.

Corrin, Alex Florent ’15, Ben Gaylord ’13 and Lizzy Thomas ’14 survived three rounds of elimination to vie with track and field athletes throughout the state at Buchanan High School. The four qualified for State at CIF Masters on May 24.

Florent narrowly missed joining the circle with Corrin, jumping 5 feet, 10 inches to place second in the girls’ high jump.

Gaylord finished eighth in the pole-vault by clearing a height of 15 feet, 10 inches – the same height Gaylord flew over to qualify to the State competition and Gaylord’s personal record.

Thomas, the only Wolverine runner at State, took 23rd in the girls’ 3200 meter.