Teaching advisor appointed

Grant Park

By Grant Park

Daniel Gutierrez will join the school administration as Director of Teaching and Learning on July 1, 2022. The Director of Teaching and Learning is a new position intended to improve students’ experiences across both campuses.

Assistant Head of School Laura Ross said the size of the school called for ways to improve connection between departments.

“We are a big school, on two [separate] campuses,” Ross said. “We felt the need to have someone who is looking at the program as a whole and helping us continue to be strong and to look for ways to improve.”

Gutierrez received his bachelor’s degree in history from University of California, Berkeley and his master’s degree in history from Harvard University. He most recently served at Windward School in Los Angeles, where he said he gained experience working closely with both students and faculty in his 14 years there.

In his new role as Director of Teaching at Learning, Gutierrez will focus on promoting collaboration at the school.

“I’ll work to foster collaboration between faculty across departments and campuses so we can work collectively to enhance student learning and well-being,” Gutierrez said. “I’m excited to have the opportunity to work with such an incredibly talented student body and faculty.”

According to Ross, Gutierrez has already visited both campuses to meet with Faculty Advisory Committee chairs, department chairs and division heads.

“[Gutierrez] has a long career and proven track record of helping schools improve their pedagogical methods and strengthening the skills required for effective teaching and learning,” Ross said.

Zoe Roth ’24 said considering the significant increase in academic rigor in the Upper School, she thinks Gutierrez  can improve students’ experience with the transition between campuses.

“I would say the jump from Middle School to Upper School is definitely a big one,” Roth said. “I would have loved to know more about the difference before starting, especially in English. I hope more collaboration with faculty from both campuses can improve the overall student experience as a whole.”