Team hopes to maintain momentum after title win

The lacrosse program had its most successful season ever last year. Young but experienced players combined with a new coach to take home the program’s first ever Northern Division trophy. The only thing missing was a Southern Section title, which they lost in a 15-8 game to St. Margaret’s. Despite the loss, the Wolverines are back with the same winning mentality and much more experience.

“I think we have a great shot of winning everything this year,” Jack Temko ’14 said. “The loss against St. Margaret’s was tough because we played very evenly for the first half and then we relaxed in the third quarter and then they started putting away goals.”

The Wolverines’ first goal is to be the only team to hold the league title this season. They tied for the title with Crespi last season.

“Overall our biggest rival is Crespi,” Temko said. “But our league is very talented from top to bottom.”

Leading the charge on the field are Gettysburg commit Noah Pompan ’14 and Hamilton commit Temko, who is also reigning Mission League Player of the Year.

By only graduating starter Matt Edelstein ’13 and captain Luke Holthouse ’13, the Wolverines are ready to pick up from where they left off. Two freshmen to watch are Nico Econn ’17 and Shane Houska ’17.

Over the summer, Interim Head Coach Alex Weber became Program Head after leading the Wolverines to a 15-4 record last year. He is the first coach in four years to last more than one season. In preparation for this year, he added all new coaches to the roster, including a new offensive coordinator.

“We’re going to score a lot,” Temko said. “Our offensive coordinator is developing a bunch of new schemes for us. Weber says everyone is going to have multiple goals this season.”

“I’m so excited to have Weber back this season,” Joe Woody ’15 said. “He brings an energy that makes everyone feel important, and he’s really good at uniting the team.”

The season opens with a league matchup against Oaks Christian March 3.