Jump on it with Alexandria Florent ’15

I know there are a lot of qualifiers before it, but I’m definitely looking forward to the State Meet. For one, there’s going to be a lot of great competition, which I love, but also it’s just really fun to travel with the team and just hang out and support each other.

How do you feel about being named one of the track and field captains this year, and what does this position mean to you?

I actually had no idea I was going to be a captain, so when Coach Koolsbergen called my name, my jaw kind of dropped. It feels really good to be a leader of the team and know that the coaches thought I would be able to handle this position along with the seniors.

What is your pre-meet ritual?

I always have to paint my nails all black except for one that has a little black and white tuxedo painted on it. I’ve done this for every single meet since freshman year. I don’t really know why, I guess I have to “dress up nice” to perform well at meets. I’m very superstitious.

What was your early high jump career like, and how did it form your career now?

I ran club track for 10 years and high jumped with a club team for three years. I wasn’t very good at first but once I got more practice and grew a little I got a lot better. I’ve been to the Junior Olympics a couple of times and actually won the Amateur Athletic Union Junior Olympics in New Orleans the summer after eighth grade with a jump of 5’8″.

What has been the best moment of your high school career so far?

The absolute best moment of my high school career so far was last year at State Finals. The bar was set at 5’10″ and I had one attempt left to clear it. I jumped the bar and cleared it and screamed so loud because I had just put myself in second place. My whole body was shaking with adrenaline. It was the greatest feeling I’ve ever had.

In what other events do you compete?

So far this year I haven’t been healthy enough to run, but regularly I would run both the 4×100 and the 4×400 relay. Also, I started long jumping again this year.