Baseball season ends with playoff loss

The game’s first run was scored in the top of the first inning when Michael Vokulich ’14 hit a sacrifice fly to score Jack Flaherty ’14, who was just named the Gatorade State Player of the Year after finishing the season with a 0.69 ERA. Unfortunately for the varsity baseball team, it could not add on any additional runs in a 3-1 loss to Edison High School, as the Wolverines’ road back to Dodger Stadium reached its end in the second round of CIF playoffs May 27.

The trouble for coach Matt LaCour’s Wolverines came in the third and sixth innings, where the Edison Chargers scored all three of their runs, only one of them earned for Vokulich who pitched the whole game.

After allowing a run in the bottom of the sixth to make the score 3-1, the Wolverines quickly loaded the bases with one out in the top of the seventh, and final, inning.  Starting second baseman Ezra Steinberg ’15 struck out to put Flaherty up with two outs and the game on the line.  Flaherty then hit a ground ball to the Chargers first baseman and made a sliding effort to try and beat out the tag, but was unsuccessful.

The loss ends the season for the team and the Wolverine baseball careers of Flaherty, Vokulich, Brian Gisberg ’14, Tyler Urbach ’14, Logan Simon ’14, Jacob Pardo ’14, Jake Bracken ’14 and Sean Kiley ’14.  Flaherty and Ginsberg’s career win totals now sit at a Harvard-Westlake record 97 wins.

The team, while unsuccessful in repeating as CIF and National Champions, finished with a 22-6-1 record and a second place finish in the Mission League.