Wolverines beat Salesian in Halloween showdown

Harvard-Westlake beat Salesian 28-14 Friday night to improve their record to 6-3 overall, and 2-2 in the Angelus League. This win puts the Wolverines in third place in the Angelus League, giving them an inside track to a playoff spot.

Running back Garrett Robinson ’15 carried the load for the Wolverines on offense. Robinson had touchdown runs of 39 and 8 yards, finishing with 146 yards total on 28 carries.

Despite running against a loaded box due to a lack of a downfield passing threat, the Wolverines ran for 282 yards. Ryan Dominick ’17 scored on a 28-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter and added 40 yards on the ground. Quarterback Marshal Cohen ’16 had 52 rushing yards, and running back Carter Begel ’17 ran for 44 yards on two carries, with a long of 44 yards.

The Wolverines sealed the game just after Begel’s long run, when a Robinson fumble bounced into the end zone and was recovered by offensive tackle Eric Bradley ’16 to make the score 28-14 with under two minutes remaining.

The Wolverines’ defensive line had another great performance powered by three sacks from Olan Moon-White ’15 and two from Zeph Williams ’15. Dominick led the team with 7 tackles.

“I think we played well,” cornerback Phillip Smith ’15 said. “A win is always great but we still have to come back tomorrow morning, watch the tape, see what did wrong and see how we can fix our mistakes.”

The Wolverines will take on St. Paul next Friday at Harvard-Westlake in their last regular season game. A win would ensure the Wolverines of a third place league finish, and a subsequent automatic spot into the CIF-SS Southeast Division Playoffs.