Wolverines fall in first round of playoffs

The Wolverines season came to an end following a 42-14 loss to Crescenta Valley High School last night in the first round of CIF Playoffs. The team finished with an overall record of 7-4 and a 3-2 record in the Angelus League. Last night marked the football program’s first playoff appearance in two years.

After the first quarter the score was tied 0-0, but Crescenta Valley scored first with three minutes left in the first half on a trick-play “fumblerooski.” Just two minutes later the Wolverines answered with their own touchdown on a nine yard pass from quarterback Marshal Cohen ’16 to Albert Choi ’15. Seconds before the end of the first half Crescenta Valley scored on a touchdown pass to take a 14-7 lead heading into halftime.

Defensive end Olan Moon-White ’15 set the single season school record for sacks with a sack in the first half.

The Wolverines’ lone second half touchdown came on a 91-yard kick return by running back Garrett Robinson ’15. Cohen threw two second-half interceptions that led to two Crescenta Valley touchdowns.

Free safety Phillip Smith ’15 gave the Wolverines life late in the game with an interception in his own end-zone but the Wolverines were unable to capitalize.