Corrin, Florent qualify for state meet

Courtney Corrin ’16 and Alexandria Florent ’15 both qualified for the CIF State track and field meet through their performances May 29 in the CIF Southern Section Masters meet at Cerritos College. This will be Corrin’s third straight state meet and Florent’s fourth straight and final state meet.

Corrin won the Masters long jump event by leaping 20 feet 2.75 inches to beat out second place finisher Tara Davis of Agoura High School by a quarter of an inch. She also placed fifth in the 300-meter hurdles event, finishing the race in 43.41 seconds. Because the top five finishers from each Masters event automatically qualify for state, Corrin made the cut in that race as well, so she will be competing in two events in Friday’s State Prelims.

Florent jumped five feet five inches in the high jump event to auto-qualify for the state meet, and then she stopped jumping in order to rest. She placed fourth in the Masters event.

“I jumped five feet five inches and then stopped jumping since that was the auto-qualifer,” Florent said. “I just wanted to give my body a rest.”

Imani Cook-Gist ’15 also competed at Masters, placing 15th in the pole vault event. Though she broke the school record twice at the CIF Southern Section Finals by jumping 11 feet and then 11 feet six inches, her best jump at Masters was 10 feet seven inches, which was not enough to qualify her for the state meet.

Corrin and Florent will compete June 5 in the state meet prelims at Buchanan High School in Clovis. The finals in each event will be June 6 at Buchanan.