Bookstore associate performs in Christmas show

Bookstore associate Allie Costa performed in “Little Miss Scrooge,” a musical mashup of “A Christmas Carol” and “Great Expectations,” at the Rubicon Theatre in Ventura.
Costa played Tiny Tammy, a female adaptation of Tiny Tim and Charity Pecksniff, a Charles Dickens character.
A director with whom Costa has worked several times recommended her to Rubicon Theatre casting director Lisa Tyzzer, Costa said, and she got the part in late November.
“When I was offered the role, I was flattered, excited and very happy,” Costa said. “It’s an honor to be part of this show. Everyone involved is professional, dedicated and talented, very kind and collaborative.”
“Little Miss Scrooge” was directed by “Les Misérables” director John Caird with music and lyrics by “Jane Eyre” and “Daddy Long Legs” composer Paul Gordon.
The plot revolves around Estella, a businesswoman and descendant of Ebenezer Scrooge who will foreclose the Harthouse Hotel in Ohio, where she finds that the proprietor is childhood friend Pip Nickleby, Costa said.
“I am having a blast,” Costa said. “My favorite scene comes in Act II, when I visit Estella during the Ghost of Christmas Future section and sing the song ‘Life,’ which begins quite innocently before morphing into a rock song where I belt my heart out.”
Costa took a leave of absence to rehearse six days a week with the cast and production team.
“Little Miss Scrooge” opened Dec. 18 and ran until Dec. 23.