Advanced Dance I and II showcase to feature six guest male dancers

The annual Advanced Dance II showcase, featuring dancers from the Advanced Dance I and II classes as well as six male dancers, will take place on March 6, 7 and 8 in the Rugby Theatre.

Advanced Dance II is the highest-level, audition-only dance course at Harvard-Westlake and is only open to students in 11th and 12th grade.

Although the theme has yet to be revealed, the show will feature several pieces that follow a story line.

While the dancers from ADII began choreographing at the start of the school year during ADII class time, students from ADI began rehearsing with the other dancers at weekend rehearsals after winter break.

“The Advanced Dance I class is invited to join us as artists, and the majority of the class chooses to do this,” Performing Arts teacher Cynthia Winter said. “They do not just have little parts. They have big parts and, they are a very important part of the show.”

Many dancers from Advanced Dance I are considering auditioning for Advanced Dance II next year.

The six male dancers, Albert Choi ’15, Benny Weisman ’15, Erik Gredonia ’17, Jordan Strom ’16, Jonah Goldman ’16 and Spencer Perryman ’15 are not enrolled in the dance program.

While some of the boys had never danced before, others did have prior experience.

There was no selection process for the male dancers. According to Winter, all that was needed was for them to show their interest.

“I wanted to do [the showcase] the past two years but I just never really had time in my schedule,” Weisman ’15 said. “I actually used to do dance in elementary school and haven’t really been able to do it until this year again, so it’s really cool getting back into it.”

Tickets went on sale on Monday, Feb. 9 and are available for purchase in the Upper and Middle School Bookstores as well as online at the Box Office.

“It’s truly amazing what these students are doing. I’m just blown away and I’m so incredibly proud of them,” Winter said.