Nike sponsors SAAC shirts

The Student Athletic Advisory Council’s apparel received Nike’s first sponsorship of a high school organization.

Natalie Florescu ’13 created the shirt on CustomInk.com.

After other SAAC members approved the design, SAAC adviser and Athletics Director Darlene Bible submitted the shirt to Nike, who agreed to print the shirt as part of their “My School” apparel.

Florescu came up with the idea while shopping for basketball shoes on Nike’s website.

“I saw a University of Virginia shirt that had this ‘We are VA design,’” she said. “I thought it would be really cool if we did the same for Harvard-Westlake.”

SAAC first sold the shirts at Activities Fair two weeks ago to the rest of the student body for wear at athletic events.

“I ended up really liking the design,” Florescu said.

SAAC plans to print more shirts, adding a tank top option and even a black design at the request of the varsity girls field hockey team.

“We thought that they would be a great thing for everyone to wear to show school spirit and support for SAAC,” varsity squad member Kacey Wilson ’13 said.

SAAC will sell shirts next at homecoming Oct. 27 and throughout the school year.

“It’s a really amazing feeling to see people wearing the shirts because they genuinely like the design,” Florescu said.  “I don’t know if I’ll design anything else. Maybe I’ll submit an idea for our senior sweatshirts.”