Jason Segel ’98 discusses film at Cinema Sundays

Jason Segel ’98 talks with McCabe Slye ’16 following the showing of his movie “The End of the Tour” Sunday. Segel visited performing arts teacher Ted Walch’s Cinema Sundays to discuss the movie and answer questions from students and faculty. Credit: Lauren Kim/Chronicle

Jason Segel ’98 answered questions from students, parents and alumni at Cinema Sunday following a screening in Ahmanson Lecture Hall of his most recent film, “The End of the Tour.”

“[The movie] was really cool because it was just an interview the entire time, rather than any action, yet you still felt really engaged because the writing was so good and the characters were so relatable,” Cameron Cohen ’16 said.

Based on a true story, the film follows the interview of acclaimed writer David Foster Wallace (Segel) by Rolling Stones journalist David Lipsky (Jesse Eisenberg). The movie was based on David Lipsky’s memoir “Although Of Course You End Up Being Yourself.”

“I loved the movie even more the second time around, and I loved [Segel] even more the second time around,” Head of Performing Arts and Cinema Studies teacher Ted Walch said.

Segel discussed the beginnings of his acting career, the benefits and drawbacks of finding success, and exploring his passion for writing. He also took questions from members of the audience addressing similar topics.

“He seems like someone that I could talk personally to and such a nice and genuine person. It was really cool hearing how he felt about the movie, how he got involved in acting and his interactions with film,” Cohen said.