Dancers perform ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’

Golden Performance: Dancers display their golden tickets as the other children plead for them. Credit: Pavan Tauh/Chronicle

Advanced Dance II students depicted characters such as Willy Wonka, Charlie Bucket, Veruca Salt, Mike Teavee, Augustus Gloop and Violet Beauregarde during their show “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” inspired by Roald Dahl’s novel, in Rugby Theater March 4-6.

The show featured 37 performers, including guest dancers from Advanced Dance I and volunteer male dancers and teachers.

The show follows a young boy named Charlie, who is portrayed by Erick Gredonia ’17, as he explores Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory with his elderly grandfather, who is played by James Hansen ’16.

In dances choreographed mainly by students, the company illustrated the consequences of greed and arrogance.

SHOWING OFF: Annabel Lassally ’16 and Adam Yaron ’16 show off the golden ticket that they have won. Credit: Pavan Tauh/Chronicle

“What I love most about the show is its uniqueness and creativity,” Joyce Shin ’18 said.

Clad in simple brown outfits, the cast danced to upbeat numbers as children started to give in to Wonka’s temptations.

JUMP FOR JOY: Erick Gredonia ’17, who plays Charlie, celebrates after being given the key to Willy Wonka’s factory. Credit: Pavan Tauh/Chronicle

Inspired by the inner workings of the human brain, the show featured themes such as the importance of imagination and humility.

“Our main goal is to have the audience bring their imagination to the show, hence our plain costumes,” Anneliese Breidsprecher ’18 said.

In the weeks prior to their showcase, dancers rehearsed every weekend, as well as after school in the last days before their show.

“The rehearsals were a huge time commitment and a work in progress, and we got so much closer throughout the whole process because we spent so many long hours with each other,” Breidsprecher said.

The dance production concluded with Willy Wonka, played by Alexa Ranger ’16, presenting the key to his chocolate factory to Charlie, the most selfless child.

“My favorite thing about the show was definitely the bonding experience throughout the entire process,” Breidsprecher said. “I got so close to everyone there, and it’s really helped me with my integration into the school.”