Swimming starts season with home victory

A swimmer backstrokes during the season opening victory over Orange Lutheran on March 3.

Both the boys’ and girls’ swim teams started their seasons with wins over Orange Lutheran, with the boys finishing 117-53 and the girls 92-88.

“The swim team is really strong this year, and I think the girls’ side has a really good shot at winning mission league,” Haunani Bautista ’17 said. “I know the girls in the 200-free relay plan on breaking the record for a second consecutive year. I think [Swimming and Diving Program Head Jason Schwartz] has really big plans for the season, and I am excited to see how everything plays out.”

During his first year as program head, Schwartz plans to maximize points earned by each swimmer rather than having each one swimming in their best event.

The team also has a lot of promising new athletes, such as Jameson McMullen ’19 and Alyssa Kam ’19, who helped replace the lack of seniors.

“Although we lost some really incredible seniors last year, we have gotten tons of new blood that have really proved they are committed to the team,” Bautista said.

Marcus Tse ’17 said that the boys’ team had put in a lot of work during the offseason and believes the squad could win league.

“I can tell that our team is more dedicated and structured,” Tse said. “We are more devoted to technique and acting more as one team. I am excited to see what this season will bring.”

On Friday The squad hosted its annual meet in tribute to Justin Carr ’14, who died in 2013. The Justin Carr Invitational is open only to the top swimmers from seven Los Angeles high schools. The event opened with a recording of the national anthem sung by Carr.

The boys’ team placed third behind Loyola and Palisades Charter High School.

This was also the first time the girls’ team has placed first in the invitational, defeating defending rival Notre Dame.

“Winning the Justin Carr meet was a major highlight because we competed against some really competitive schools that we will also be seeing later on this season,” Bautista said. “This meet was a good indicator and a huge ego boost for our girls, and I cannot wait for the rest of this season.”

The team’s next meet will be Thursday at Notre Dame High School.