Junior earns Girl Scout Gold Award, chosen to represent city in capitol

Kennedy Green’s ’14 Gold Award marked the pinnacle of her 10-year Girl Scout career and effectively ended it.

“That’s as far as you can go,” Green said. “After the Gold Award, your Girl Scout career is pretty much over.”

For her Gold Award, a project that requires 80 hours of direct community service and approval by a council of Girl Scout Council staff members, Green planned and held a five day camp for third through fifth graders.

“What I was trying to do was prepare them for the middle school ethic,” Green said. “When I was in fifth grade, no one really told me what it’d be like going into sixth grade, and so, unfortunately, I got in with some bad crowds. It was really important for me to teach other kids that they don’t have to be a part of that.”

Several women on the council recommended her to represent the Girl Scouts of greater Los Angeles at the Girl Scout Women and Girls’ Leadership Breakfast in Washington, D.C. on Feb. 28.

Green was among 17 Girl Scouts from across the country who attended the breakfast.

All of the Girl Scouts invited to the breakfast had won Gold Awards.

“I always felt that Gold Awards were like quilts, like someone made a large quilt, and it took up 80 hours of their life,” Green said. “So when I saw [that] all these other girls from across the country put so much time and dedication into their own Gold Awards like I did, it was like, ‘I’m not alone in this universe.’”