Prefect Council holds first Coffeehouse of the year

Angel Hoyang ’18 and Savannah Weinstock ’18 perform “Cherry Wine” by Hozier. Credit: Indu Pandey/Chronicle

Students performed in the first Coffeehouse of the year after school Nov. 28 in the Chalmers Lounge.

Prefect Council organized the event and provided refreshments and snacks for attendees.

“It’s been a lot of fun [planning the event],” Prefect JP Cherry ’18 said. “The planning process has always been rough in the first one of the year, but it smooths out by the end of the year. I think this one went well.”

The event included solo performances by Ari Yaron ’18, who sang “Come Home” by OneRepublic, and Luke Markinson ’19, who sang an original song entitled “Layer.”

Group performances included siblings Charlotte Weinman ’18 and Ben Weinman ’17 singing “Steadier Footing” by Death Cab for Cutie and Ori Zur ’18 and Natalie Kroh ’18 performing “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen.

“I really like performing for my friends and the school,” Zur said. “I love being able to share my music, especially performing as a duet.”

Student band Crown the Kids closed the event by performing “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd and “When You Were Young” by The Killers. Members of the band include Aubrey Elwes ’18, Eli Timoner ’18, Nick Locke-Henderson ’18 and Matthew Burkow ’19.

“I loved all of the acts and especially loved Crown the Kids,” attendee Evan Keare ’18 said. “I’m not surprised there’s so much talent that could be found at Harvard-Westlake.”