Make-A-Wish recipient thanks school for wish reveal

Five-year-old leukemia survivor Leighton Kaba and her mother made a surprise appearance in the Community Service Week assembly Wednesday to thank the school for its collaboration with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and for participating in granting her wish.

“It was really, truly magical,” Kaba’s mother said. “Knowing what an incredible gift you gave Leighton, I can only imagine what you will be able to do this week to help give other kids the same opportunity that Leighton had with Make-A-Wish.”

In November, the school hosted Kaba’s wish reveal, where Community Council organized a Disney-style assembly to tell Kaba that she was going to Disneyland to meet Rapunzel.

Make-A-Wish CEO Neal Aton also thanked the school for its contributions and to share information about the organization.

“I encourage you, I encourage your brother, your sister, your parents to just get involved,” Aton said. “Get involved in building, volunteering, all of the different ways that the community comes together to make this possible.”

There was a donation table on the quad Wednesday for students interested in contributing to the foundation.

As part of the Community Service Week festivities, the Clean Water Ambassadors will sell water bottles in the cafeteria in honor of World Water Day on March 22.

Participants in the dance concert reminded students that their shows will be this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

“It’s something that is really special to me, and I know it is really special to everyone up here,” dancer Erick Gredonia ’17 said. “Another reason we are really excited for the concert is we have some amazing dancers and guest dancers, including some faculty members.”

To show their appreciation for his support of the team, the boy’s basketball seniors gave security officer Sanders Jackson a signed ball. Students also gave Jackson a standing ovation.