Chronicle finalist for California’s best high school paper

The Chronicle and seven members of the staff will be honored by The California Newspaper Publishers Association on May 3 at its annual Better Newspaper Awards luncheon in San Jose. The newspaper will be named either the first or second place high school winner for general excellence.

In addition, six individual staffers will receive first or second place honors for their work.  Julia Aizuss ’14 will be honored for best writing for “Outside the Binary.” Zoe Dutton ’15 and Mazelle Etessami ’14 will be honored for best feature for “Day of the Dead.” Jack Goldfisher ’14 won best sports photo for “Safe at Home,” while Lizzy Thomas ’14 won best sports writing for “Scaring ‘Em Hitless.” Noa Yadidi ’14, Aizuss, Goldfisher and Thomas will be honored for best editorial comment for “Dear Mr. President.”

In addition, Goldfisher won honorable mention for a sports photo taken during the varsity football game last September against North Hollywood High, and an honorable mention for the profile he wrote on new president Rick Commons.  Sydney Foreman ’14 won an honorable mention for feature story writing for “Dying to Be Thin.”

The awards announcement came less than a week after the 2012-2013 editions of the  Chronicle, Big Red and the Spectrum won Columbia Scholastic Press Association Gold Crown Awards at the 90th annual Scholastic Convention  in New York City March 21.

The Chronicle was one of the 14 finalists to receive a Gold Crown in the High School Hybrid Publication category, which was created last year as a response to the transition of many print publications to online formats.

Big Red and the Spectrum won High School Magazine and Middle School Newspaper Gold Crowns respectively.

Gold Crowns are the top awards offered by the CSPA, and submitted publications are judged on writing, editing, design, content, concept, photography, art and graphics.

The Better Newspaper Awards are given by the CNPA, which honors two high school newspapers and four college newspapers in the state each year, along with professional publications.