Math teacher to retire

Completing her 34 year tenure with the school, math teacher Beverly Feulner will retire at the end of the school year to return to her roots in Pennsylvania with her husband, science teacher John Feulner.

“I’ve done my duty, I think,” Feulner said. “My husband and I are both from Pennsylvania, and we’re moving back to Pennsylvania to be close to family.”

Feulner said she’s looking forward to retirement because of the time it will provide for her to pursue her interests. She said she’s excited about sewing, playing the piano and spending a lot of time with her family.

She added that she will still miss the school and cherish all the memories she made here.

“I’m not sure you can find another school in the country that has everything that this school has to offer: the higher level mathematics I was able to teach, the really motivated, bright students and the great colleagues and other faculty members,” she said. “And the school values the faculty. I know a lot of other people who teach, and their conditions are nothing like what we have here. There are just so many things that make this wonderful place to be. And again, I didn’t particularly like California, but the only reason I stayed here was because of this job.”

After graduating from Drexel University, Feulner taught at a boarding school before pursuing geophysical research. She also worked at an oil company and for small defense contractors before taking up a teaching job at Harvard School for Boys, where she met her husband.