Wafflebots compete in scrimmage

The Wafflebots, the combined Robotics class and club team, sent nine students to a scrimmage in which they used a robot designed by last year’s club to throw balls into two separate goals.

At the Oct. 5 competition held by Valencia High School, the team faced 20 opponents.

“The students learned about the variety of robots that were possible solutions to playing last year’s game,” faculty adviser and science teacher Karen Hutchison said. “They also got to see how a competition flows, as well as learn about the components of the robot as things needed adjustment or fixing.”

The Wafflebots placed 17th at the scrimmage, Wafflebots co-captain Christian Stewart ’15 said.

“[The result] was actually better than we were expecting, as the scrimmage was more for giving our newer members the experience than for competing, especially since we were using last year’s robot,” Stewart said.

Team members will design a new robot for the upcoming FIRST Robotics Competition once the guidelines are released Jan. 3, club and class member Paula Lahera ’16 said.

The Robotics class is also using a 3-D printer to complete two projects.

“We all build a small robot from scratch in groups,” Lahera said. “We came up with our own design and wrote our own code.”

Students also designed objects on either AutoCAD or Sketch Up, which are programs for creating models on the computer, and printed their designs on the 3-D printer, Lahera said.