Students perform at first Coffeehouse of year

Roshan Nayar ’19, Ryan Wixen ’19 and Jordan Yadegar ’19 perform at the year’s first Coffeehouse. Photo credit: Astor Wu/Chronicle
Students shared their talents with the community at the first Coffeehouse of the year Nov. 13 in Chalmers Lounge. Students performed short skits that included singing, stand-up comedy and instrumental covers.
Soloist singer Kate Konvitz ’20 said her favorite part of Coffeehouse was seeing all the different manifestations of talent.
“I signed up for Coffeehouse because I love being in a supportive environment where everyone encourages each other’s work,” Konvitz said.

Konvitz performed a cover of “Shelter” by Birdy alongside pianist Jake Schroeder ’20.

Many students and faculty members said that they enjoyed this year’s Coffeehouse and seeing their peers perform with confidence in a supportive environment.

Farid Adibi ’19 laughs in the middle of his comedy sketch. Photo credit: Astor Wu/Chronicle

“I think it’s just really great to see that all these students who are insanely talented have a space where they can perform in a fun and casual manner,” Carolyn Kim ’18 said.

Audience members also said that the school’s extensive performing arts program  encouraged students to perform at the Coffeehouse.
“It seemed like a lot of people who performed at Coffeehouse were also involved in a performing art at Harvard-Westlake,” Isabella Huang ’19 said. “I️ feel like being able to perform plays or concerts can give someone the confidence to perform again in a more casual setting.”
Prefect Council, who hosted the event, also provided coffee and baked goods to listeners as well.
Natalie Kroh ’18 and Alec Davila ’20 sing a duet. Photo credit: Astor Wu/Chronicle