Students help provide clean water to 2200

Students bought around 1,700 water bottles to raise money to bring filtered water to 2,200 people in Africa, Clean Water Ambassador founder Cole Kawana ’16 announced at the assembly March 18.

Clean Water Ambassadors Foundation sold water bottles printed with their logo in the cafeteria this week, with a portion of the proceeds dedicated to bringing clean water to Sub-Saharan Africa.

The results of the sale were so successful that students can continue to buy the bottles for the rest of the week. After they have finished drinking their water bottles, students are encouraged to sign and recycle them in bins provided on the quad. Kawana will then select water bottles, and the winners will sign their names on filters bought with the money raised from the water bottles. These students will receive photos and videos and be able to correspond with the families who benefit from their signed filters.

Additionally, students who have fulfilled their 12-hour community service requirement, and contributed to the total of 10,861 hours served by the school, will be rewarded with Dippin’ Dots tomorrow.

Max Cho ’15, Danielle Stolz ’15 and Marianne Verrone ’15 urged students who only bought tickets to the Harvard-Westlake Film Festival to get free popcorn to email [email protected] in order to give their tickets to those on the waiting list for the sold out event.

Delilah Napier ’16 and Adam Yaron ’16 screened a trailer for the documentary “E-team,” which features Human Rights Watch’s Emergencies Director Peter Bouckaert who will visit the campus for three days at the Kutler Center’s scholar in residence.

Students were encouraged to volunteer at the school’s booth on Ventura Boulevard during the CicLAvia marathon this Sunday and help decorate kids’ bicycles.

Mayor Eric Garcetti ’88 will speak at the Brown family speaker assembly this upcoming Monday between first and second periods.

In celebration of Women’s History Month, students and faculty posed for posters that were compiled in a video shown at the assembly.