Cambodian genocide survivor visits Upper School

Cambodian genocide survivor Arn Chorn-Pond visited the upper school campus on April 13, the day classes resumed after spring break.

Chorn-Pond answered questions during a presentation in Feldman-Horn room 107 open to all students during activities period. He also visited other classes throughout the day.

Chorn-Pond was hosted by Visual Arts Department Chair Cheri Gaulke, who will be leading a group of students with cinematographer Jeff MacIntyre and director of Friendship Tours World Travel Alethea Tyner Paradis to Cambodia during summer break to document the effects of the genocide 36 years after its end.

“Arn is perhaps the most well-known survivor of the genocide,” Gaulke said. “He not only has a compelling story, he created Cambodia Living Arts to preserve the arts which were almost lost when artists, musicians, and performers were targeted and murdered.”

Students and teachers from Pasadena Polytechnic and the Peace and Justice Academy also travelled to campus to hear Chorn-Pond speak.

Registration for the HW! Go’s Digital Storytelling Adventure trip to Cambodia is open on the Friendship Tours World Travel Website. Students will be required to create a digital storytelling project upon their return.