Girls’ basketball defeats Alemany in double overtime

Kiki Iriafen ’21 goes up for a clutch basket over Alemany defenders. Credit: Sophie Haber /Chronicle

With a 85-77 double-overtime victory over Alemany at Senior Night on Tuesday, the girls’ basketball team earned a second place spot in the southern division as they enter Mission League playoffs.

Wing Melanie Hirsch ’18 tied the game 70-70 with a buzzer beating three point shot in the last second of the fifth period.

“You can always count on Mel to make her three’s, so I wasn’t surprised when it went in,” center Kiki Iriafen ’21 said. “She’s just that good.”

Iriafen said that the shot gave the team the momentum that they needed to win in the sixth period.

When the team was trailing in the first overtime, forward Jayda Ruffus-Milner ’18 said she was proud of the team’s ability to support each other and maintain energy on the court.

“Constant positivity and unity saved us this game,” Ruffus-Milner said.

The team’s strong defense also contributed to the win, Iriafen said.

“It stopped Alemany from driving into the paint and forced them to take outside shots,” Iriafen said

Now with a perfect 7-0 league record, the team looks to win a Mission League championship.

“Of course [we want] to win, but also to improve our game and fix the little mistakes in order to get those rings,” Iriafen said.

The team will play Chaminade on Thursday in its last game before the playoffs.

“Our team’s ability to fight until the very last buzzer without giving up was the best thing we did,” Ruffus-Milner said. “I honestly couldn’t ask for a better loving and connected team.”