Levin steps down as CFO, will continue to teach classes

David Weil ’93 will take over as Chief Financial Officer, succeeding Rob Levin, who is stepping down after 30 years to focus on teaching, President Rick Commons announced May 4 to faculty and staff online and in an email.

Weil currently serves as Business Manager in the Business Office.

“Rob has been training and transitioning responsibilities to him over the past two years, so David will step into his expanded role with deep understanding as well as superb professional ability,” Commons wrote.

Levin will continue teaching his class the Business of Life, developing entrepreneurship initiatives and connecting students and alumni, Commons said.

“It’s been an honor serving as Harvard-Westlake’s CFO,” Levin said. “I’m grateful that Harvard School took a chance on a 25-year-old B-school grad with zero experience in 1985. In the decades since, events — from merger to earthquake to Upper School construction to Middle School construction to financial earthquake to mission re-imagination — have afforded the opportunity to impact an extraordinary institution at pivotal times in its history.”

Weil will assume the title of CFO on July 1.

Levin was Weil’s football and basketball coach when he was a student, and said he has continued to mentor his career for the past decade.
“I couldn’t be prouder of what David has accomplished, nor more excited about the grander work that he and his team have in their sights,” Levin said. “And, I am profoundly grateful that their talent and efforts have allowed me to leave the future in such caring and able hands in order to pursue my own lifelong dreams as an educator, dreams which I hope will transform the lives of students, alumni, our school and perhaps even our world.”

Commons emphasized that Levin would remain a valued and contributing member of the community.
“The board, David and I will continue to seek Rob’s business wisdom even as he focuses on teaching, counseling and innovating,” Commons wrote. “His official title has not been set, but his work going forward will emphasize ones he has long cherished: teacher, coach and inventor.”

You can read Levin’s letter to the community about his transition here: www.hwchronicle.com/opinion/a-goodbye-letter-from-cfo-rob-levin/