New members join Mock Trial

The Mock Trial captains added nine new members to this year’s team, tri-captain Alec Winshel ’16 said in an email to club members today.

New inductees will participate in both the prosecution and defense side as lawyers and witnesses.

Students who signed up for the Mock Trial Club tried out for the team Sept. 28-30. Each student spent 10 minutes for his or her tryout which determined students’ positions on the team.

“I am extremely optimistic about this season,” team tri-captain Megan Cohen ’17 said. “The team’s success rests upon the students, no matter which role they play, and I believe we are going to have a hard-working, devoted group this year that can lead us to another victory.”

Club members received a packet during Activities Fair that included tryout and commitment information. During their audition, they role-played the prosecutor for People v. Hayes, the trial of a student accused of the homicide of a police officer.

The new team will meet Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3-5 p.m. during October and November to prepare for the Los Angeles County Tournament.

“I think Mock Trial will be a really unique experience that could further develop my interest in law,” Ravi Durairaj ’17 said. “The idea of creating a controlled learning environment that still allows for people to experience and participate in a trial is really cool.”

Last year, the school’s Mock Trial team won the Los Angeles County Tournament.