Feldman-Horn to host modern Korean artwork

Four Korean-American artists will come to the Feldman-Horn Gallery this weekend to display their work in an exhibition entitled “State of Being.”

The exhibit was coordinated by Ae Kyung Lee (Ellie ’06, Jessica ’08) who worked with the Korean Parents’ Association. Hyesook Park, an artist in the show, chose the displayed art and designed the exhibit with Lee, said Dr. Arthur Tobias, visual arts department head. 

Guests including about 500 Korean parents, will be able to see the exhibit this Sunday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., the opening day, during the exhibition reception.

Those who did not receive invitations are also welcome to share the “light finger dinner” and enjoy the art on Sunday free of cost, Lee said.

Later visitors can see the “State of Being” exhibit, also known as the Korean American Artists Exhibition, until Sept. 22.

All artwork is on sale, with the artists donating from 10 to 30 percent of the proceeds to the school.

Painter Young Joo Choi, photographer Gabriel Park, acrylic painter Hyesook Park and the man described by the Korean Parents Association as the reigning sculptor of Korea, Shim Moon Seup, contributed their art to the exhibit.

Choi and Hyesook Park are both Korean artists now living in the Los Angeles area, while Seup and Gabriel are sending their art directly from Korea for this exhibit and another exhibit of Seup’s art taking place in Los Angeles, said Joan Kim (Eleanor ’07), a chair of the Korean Parents Association.

Tobias, who coordinated the Chinese Art Exhibit last year, is sponsoring the State of Being exhibit, but left the arrangements up to the Korean Parents Association.
An exhibit of mixed Asian art will come to the school next year.

“We have big expectations for it,” Lee said.