Middle school musicians attend, assist in performance at Walt Disney Concert Hall

For the third year in a row, performing arts teacher Emily Reola was asked by the Los Angeles Philharmonic and Artistry in Motion to select 12 eighth and ninth grade students from the Middle School Symphony to participate in the confetti toss that takes place at the Philharmonic’s Gala Opening Concert. The event was held downtown at Disney Concert Hall on the evening of Sept. 28 at 7 p.m. The theme for the Philharmonic’s 2006-2007 season is “Spain and Fantasy.”

Each student and chaperone were stationed at a port hole above the audience, in the ceiling of the stadium.

Students sat by their port holes for the entire concert, and after the grand finale, the lights signals flashed and each student threw confetti down into the audience as a “kick off” to the opening of the LA Philharmonic’s season.

Each student was given a stipend of $100 for participating in this event. Last year,  a total of $1,200 was donated to the Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund. This year, the donation was given to VH-1’s “Save the Music” fund with a specification toward Instrumental Music in Los Angeles Public Schools.

— Andrew Lee