Cancio to lead Vistamar admission team

After two years at the school, Associate Director of Admission and ninth grade advisor Oscar Cancio ’04 will leave Harvard-Westlake to become the new Director of Admissions at Vistamar School on June 30.

At Vistamar, Cancio will manage and lead an admissions team of three professionals by providing long-term goals and visions. He will report directly to the Vistamar Head of School.

“Vistamar is a much smaller school than HW,” Cancio said in an email. “Enrollment is approximately at 275 vs 1600. I will be working with Student Ambassadors, but on a smaller scale.”

In his new position, Cancio will continue helping families through the admissions process and will be working with Student Ambassadors at Vistamar School.

“It’s been so fantastic to come back to a place I called home as a high school student.” Cancio said in an email. “I enjoyed my two years here working for two Directors of Admission (Mrs. Gregory Riordan and Mr. Mieszczanski).

Even though I’m leaving my position, I look forward to remaining active as an alumni volunteer.”

The Harvard-Westlake Student Ambassador program will be taken over by Admission Counselor Julia Kraft.

“While I am, of course, very sad to see him go, I am excited to step into the role of leading the Student Ambassador Program,” Kraft said in an email to all members of the Student Ambassador program.

Student Ambassador Justin Park ’20 said Cancio made great improvements to the program despite his short term.

“Mr. Cancio always strived to improve the program by implementing student feedback, and encouraged more communication between Co-Chairs and ambassadors,” Park said. “Mr. Cancio will truly be missed when he leaves this summer, but it is safe to say that the Student Ambassador program has grown with his leadership.”