Seniors help water polo turn season around

The varsity boys’ water polo team just completed four consecutive victories in the S&R Cup to place first in the tournament and help them reamain in the Southern Section Div. 1 top 10.

With senior leadership and high scoring offense, the water polo team started the season with a victory over Corona Del Mar, the team that defeated them in CIF semifinals last year.

“[Corona Del Mar] is a different team, but it’s still a nice way to start the season,” Brian Pingree ’07 said.

The senior leaders on the team, Jeff Schwimer ’07 and Pingree, describe the team’s qualities as “solid offense and strong defense.”

Schwimer was named L.A. Times Player of the Week for his performance against Mater Dei. Schwimer scored four goals and led his team to a 13-8 victory over the Monarchs.

“Jeff is definitely a big time leader for our team,” Pingree said.

“That’s always cool, but I don’t think about it that much. I just go out and play,” Schwimer said about his performance.

Schwimer refered to Pingree, the incumbent starting goalie, as “the head of our defense and we’re all impressed with his play so far this year.”

“We’ve turned it around after a rocky start, so I expect a lot of success this year,” Pingree said.

Pingree also said he wouldn’t be surprised by a solid run at CIF this year.

The team still has two tournaments and games against rivals Long Beach Wilson and Notre Dame left this year.