Getty Fire prompts school closure

Smoke spreads across the horizon as the Getty Fire burns over 600 acres, impacting neighborhoods since 1:30 a.m. on Monday. Credit: Austin Lee/Chronicle

Both the middle and upper school campuses canceled classes and activities due to the Getty Fire today, which is threatening homes in Bel Air, Westwood and Brentwood.

“Our thoughts and concerns today are for all those in our community who are suffering through evacuations and potential loss,” Head of Middle School Jon Wimbish and Head of Upper School Laura Ross said in an email. “If we experience only a single-day closure, then both campuses would simply skip today’s scheduled day of the cycle and begin with the planned day tomorrow. If we end up with more school cancellations, we’ll adjust as we go.”

Mandatory evacuations were ordered for residents who live within the boundaries of Mulholland Drive, Sunset Boulevard, the 405 Freeway and Temescal Canyon Road, according to KTLA

The fire started north of Sunset Boulevard on the west side of the 405 freeway at about 1:30 a.m, according to KTLA. Due to the Santa Ana winds, the fire has spread westward, burning over 600 acres, and is currently five percent contained. As of 9 a.m., mandatory evacuation zones included more than 10,000 structures, according to Los Angeles Fire Department.