School tops country in 4 APs

Two science and two English courses led the nation in Advanced Placement test scores last year, according to the College Board’s “Advanced Placement Report to the Nation.”

The classes had the widest segment of the total school population receive a passing score of three or higher on the AP exam among schools of similar size, Head of Upper School Jeanne Huybrechts said in an e-mail to faculty.

“We are particularly proud because it is a different kind of award,” Director of Studies Dr. Deborah Dowling said. “It is not about a few superstars, but it reflects a big population of hard-working, dedicated and high-achieving students right across our school community.”

AP Physics B, AP Environmental Science, AP English Language and Literature won honors. Last year, Physics B and the two English tests were awarded the same honor while AP Spanish Literature and AP Calculus AB were also included, but the latter two failed to receive the honor this year.

“This is a particularly meaningful distinction…because it points to our effectiveness in educating all of our students,” Huybrechts said. “Enrollment in these particular AP courses is not restricted to our highest-achieving students. Hard-working ‘average’ kids can expect to learn a lot here, and I think that says a lot about our teachers.”

Despite winning the award, AP English Language will not be offered next year.

“As of now we have no formal structure for preparing students to take the AP Language test, although this will likely change soon,” Head of English Department Larry Weber said. Students can sign up for the test despite the class’ departure from the AP curriculum, he said.