Girls’ soccer goes undefeated in league after slow start

The girls’ soccer team plays Orange Lutheran in the first round of the CIF playoffs today at home at 3 p.m. After starting the season 7-7-2, the team finished the season with a 14-7-5 record, including an undefeated 7-0-3 record in league play.

“Our non-league opponents were extremely tough,” center-midfielder Jenna Marine ’08 said. “I think so many tough games helped us grow and improve as a team.”

The quality of the teams who the girls will face in the playoffs match that of their non-league schedule, but the players believe it is up to the challenge.

“We’re communicating better as a team and passing the ball on the ground much better to each other,” forward Shannon Hart ’07 said. “We are starting to use our assets, and I think we are going to go far in the playoffs no matter what anyone says.”

Led by senior captains Hart and Lizzy Danhakl ’07, the team has scored 17 goals in their last eight games after scoring just 13 in their first 18 games. Hart leads the team in goals scored while Danhakl, a defender, is one of the team’s fastest players.

“I think that we’ve really improved as of late, and I have a lot of faith in this team,” Marine said. “Lizzy and Shannon have been amazing and are really dedicated to making us better.”

The team attributes their recent success to the growing camaraderie among the players. The team went on a retreat to Danhakl’s house this past weekend in order to prepare for the playoffs.

The girls are looking to improve upon last year’s end result where they came just short of a CIF title after a 2-1 loss in the championship game to Upland.