Wrestling shows potential in first tournament.

Today, the wrestling team started off strong in its first tournament of the season, the South Torrance Spartan Kickoff, with two wrestlers placing fourth in their weight classes.

182 pounder Kanoa Young ’21 wrestled off against St. John Bosco’s Nathan Haas ’20, who ranked fourth in the 19U USA Wrestling Nation Folkstyle Tournament and first in the CIF Southern Section last year. Young fought strong against the competition, the 113 pounder Gabe Glassman said.

“[Young] fought hard and didn’t give up,” Glassman said. “His extreme work ethic and relentlessness showed, and he ended up top five.”

After losing to Haas by a pin in the second period, Young finished the day 2-2.

106 pounder Hunter Griswald ’22 also medalled, going 2-2. The team fought hard and stayed competitive in all of its matches, Glassman said. Captain and 170 pounder Daniel Guerrero ’20 ended the day 2-2. He then reflected on the team’s overall performance.

“The team’s first business trip was definitely successful,” Guerrero said. “We had two wrestlers take fourth in a really competitive setting. The most important part was definitely getting everyone some time on the mat early in the season. We’ve found our strengths and we’re looking to address our shortcomings in future tournaments and duels.

Heavyweight Justin Baiden ’22 went 0-2. 120 pounder Billy Johnson ’22 and 145 pounder Issac Weiner finished 0-2. Captain and Chronicle Sports and Business Section Assistant Editor and Writer Lucas Lee ’21 finished 1-2.

Coming off of their last match on Thursday against Pacific Palisades High School, the wrestlers worked to improve their technique and intensity on Friday to prepare for the tournament.

The squad will wrestle off at Crespi High School on Dec. 4 at 5:30 P.M.