Swimming falls from 1st as season winds down

After rattling off victories in their four head-to-head meets since a season-opening loss to Saugus, the girls’ swimming team fell prey to a home loss at the hands of Flintridge Sacred Heart, 100-70 last Thursday.

As it was a battle of the two top squads in the Mission League, the loss took the Wolverines out of first place in the race for the regular season title.

Despite the setback, the team remains able to view its season as a positive.

“The girls have performed quite well this season so far,” coach Darlene Bible said.  “They have been working hard, are not tapered yet and are still doing best times in many cases. 
    We are a young team and the future looks very, very bright.”

The boys’ team endured a similar setback at the same meet as the girls in the form of a 22-point loss to Loyola.  Despite a victory by Andy Kim ’07 in the 100-meter backstroke and a win by David Chanin ’08 in the 200-meter Individual Medley, the Wolverines still could not overtake their rivals.

“I think we’ve done really well this season,” Chanin said.  “It was upsetting losing to Loyola, but they have a good team, and we’ve won the last two years.”

After league finals, the focus for many members of both teams team will shift to personal accolades.  The girls’ team has many CIF participants already, including Allison Merz ’10, Cathryn Quinn ’08 and Alex Edel ’10, Bible said.

Maddy Sprung-Keyser ’09 is six-tenths of a second off the automatic qualification time for the 100-meter backstroke but will remain in serious contention for a shot at CIF, as she holds a consideration time.

As the teams have moved down a division this past season, they should have an increase in CIF participation, Chanin said.

“We are now back in Division II with more schools of our own size, so CIF will be the exciting part of our season,” Bible said.

Bible offers advice to her team’s future opponents: “Even when we are the underdog, watch out because you never know what these kids might do to beat the opposition.”

Bible notes that her team has remained strong in the face of great fatigue, swimming nearly every meet under 100 percent.

“Remember that these girls are swimming tired at each and every meet, so when they are rested they will get faster,” she said.

Both teams face Alemany tomorrow in their regular season finale at home.