Boys’ golf falls in CIF playoffs

After a 16-1 season where they claimed the Mission League title, the boys’ varsity golf team suffered a disappointing fourth-place finish in the CIF-Southern Section Northern Team Divisionals on May 7 at Soule Park Golf Club.

Justin Lee ’07, who shot the lowest score for the Wolverines in divisionals with a 73, was the only member of the squad to qualify for the CIF Northern Individual Regionals at Sterling Hills Golf Club on May 10.

Because Lee did not place in the top 30 at the Northern Individual Regionals, he did not qualify for the Individual Championships.

“In golf there are ups and downs and the team just hit a down at a bad time,” Head of Athletics Audrius Barzdukas said. “You have to maintain equanimity in golf, and the team just lost its composure at a bad time.”

Since the team only loses two seniors in Lee and Ethan Levitt ’07, Barzdukas is optimistic about the future.

“The golf program is definitely going in the right direction,” Barzdukas said. “We have a number of freshmen and sophomores who can play key roles next year and the year after.”

Among other emerging underclassmen, Glen Scher ’09 will likely continue to be a valuable asset to the team next year. The former league MVP placed fourth in the Los Angeles City Section last year.
Scher will be joined by Jordan Lee ’10 and Jeff Wibawa ’10 who consistently posted scores that hovered around even par throughout the season.

Since golf is such a mind game, Wood arranged sports psychologists to come in and speak to the team.

“Coach Wood is very innovative and has contributed a lot to the golf program here,” Barzdukas said. “He has done a great job bringing in young talent and uses all sorts of methods to teach composure in his players.”

The team did not suffer a loss until their second to last game where they were edged out by Loyola. In league play, the team finished with a record of 11-1. They captured their fourth consecutive Mission League Title after scoring a decisive victory in the League Finals at Wilson Golf Course on May 2.

In the finals, the Wolverines finished with a score of 376, which was 10 points ahead of St. Francis and Loyola, the next closest competitors. In addition, Justin Lee received medalist honors for posting the best score. Lee shot an even par 72.