Offense comes up big in football victory

The Wolverine offense scored 41 points in a shutout victory last Friday against Van Nuys High School. Wide receiver Paul Royster ’08 and running back Tehron O’Neal ’09 split the team’s six touchdowns.

“It’s always good to win the second game, but now the real season starts,” Head Coach Vic Eumont said.

The Wolverines controlled the running game, plowing through the Wolves’ defensive line and allowing for long drives and five touchdowns on the ground. Both Royster and O’Neal scored on short runs in the first quarter.

“Our blockers did a good job all night; they kept the run game going,” O’Neal said. “We were able to bounce it outside, and the reads were easy because they cleared people out.”

Quarterback Sean Berman ’09 connected with Royster on a 60-yard touchdown pass, sending the crowd into mayhem with 2:15 left in the first quarter.

“We kept it pretty simple,” Berman said. “We didn’t want to show a lot to the scouts, so we threw mostly outs and flats, with some deep routes as well.”

O’Neal scored again in the second quarter on a one-yard touchdown run, giving the Wolverines a 27-0 lead.

With 51 seconds left in the first half, outside linebacker Kimo Thorpe ’09 intercepted a Van Nuys pass, and was tackled four yards shy of the end zone.

“I read his eyes when he stepped to throw, then I broke to the ball,” Thorpe said. The Wolverines capitalized on the turnover with a four-yard Royster run for another touchdown to cap off the half.

In its first offensive drive of the second half, the team strung together five first downs for sixty yards and an eventual O’Neal score, his third touchdown of the night.

After the victory, the team set its sights on Burroughs, who they will play at home next week. One of the Wolverines’ two regular season losses last year came against Burroughs.