Girls’ tennis eyes another league title

In the wake of losing two key players, girls’ tennis coach Chris Simpson will hand over the number one spot to Caroline Richman ’09 in hopes of adding another Mission League title to the trophy case.

During his tenure, Simpson has led the team to seven titles in a row.

The team lacks the superstars it has had in past years, but Simpson feels the team’s work ethic will boost their performance to a new level.

“They all want to do well,” he said.  “We’re going to do all right.” 

Richman’s rise to the top of the singles depth chart represents a change from past years.

She is not as highly touted as past number ones, but Simpson has placed his trust in her.

He knows there will be pressure, but nothing that she won’t be capable of coping with.
“There’ll be a lot of pressure there, but good pressure,” Simpson said.

The number two singles player will be Sayumi Kobayashi ’09.

After having an injury-ravaged season (elbow and wrist) in 2006, Simpson hopes she can have a triumphant return in the 2007 campaign.

The team’s top tandem for doubles competition is Nicole Hung ’10 and Cassidy Horn ’08.

The duo teamed up last year and conjured up the results Simpson was looking for. He hopes that their chemistry will continue through this year.

“I think we did unexpectedly well last year as a doubles team and think our success will continue this year,” Hung said.

Notre Dame and Chaminade pose the biggest threats to the title.

Last season, the team matched up well with Chaminade’s talent, taking both matches.
However, without Kobayashi and freshmen members (due to freshman retreat), the squad suffered its only loss of the season against Notre Dame, but were still able to rebound and take the second match during last year.

If Horn, Hung, Kobayashi and Richman perform consistently, Simpson said he feels that he could soon have an eighth notch on his belt.

Freshmen tryouts to fill the roster are tomorrow. Simpson  is looking for an impact player, not necessarily a star.

The coach also hasn’t found a senior yet to captain the squad. Their first league game is at Alemany on Oct. 2, whom they beat last season in both matches.