Rebibo Voted Coach of the Year by Students

David the Goliath: Program Head David Rebibo directs his team in a 91-73 win at home against Bishop Alemany High School on Feb. 5. Printed with permission of Jason Kelly.

While Basketball Program Head David Rebibo led the Wolverines to plenty of success and multiple CIF championships over the past few years, the 2019-2020 boys’ team is arguably his finest work to date. Competing in the CIF-SS Open Division, in which a number of ESPN ranked four and five-star players participated, Rebibo’s squad finished the season with a 25-7 record and a Mission League title.

Recognizing his performance, the student body voted Rebibo coach of the year in the Big Red Sports Superlatives poll. Rebibo edged out fellow finalists, Boys’ Water Polo Head Coach Brian Flacks and Field Hockey Head Coach Erin Creznic.

“I am incredibly grateful for this honor, but I have to give all the credit to our players and coaches,” Rebibo said. “Their work ethic and commitment to our program is what has made us successful.”

Forward Jack Weisskopf ’21 said that he loves playing under Rebibo.

“Rebibo has honestly been one of the greatest coaches I’ve had,” Weisskopf said. “His commitment to not only the program, but [also] to us as student athletes is amazing. He’s made basketball such an enjoyable experience for me and he is fully deserving of the honor.”

Rebibo joined the school’s basketball program in 2015, after serving as an assistant coach at the University of San Francisco for two years and the head coach at El Camino Real High School for six. In April, Cal-Hi Sports named Rebibo Coach of the Year, a title given to the state’s top basketball coach. The recognition joined Rebibo’s collection of coaching accolades, which includes the 2017 CIF-SS D1 Coach of the Year and the 2012 City Section D2 Coach of the Year awards.