Dodgeball comes to upper campus

Starting this year at the Upper School, there will be a campus-wide dodgeball tournament.

The format will mirror that of the program at the Middle School that consistently draws large crowds, and co-commissioners Harry Botwick ’09 and Max Eliot ’09 are spearheading the program.

“We wanted something that would bring all the grades and the teachers and the students together,” Eliot said. “We think that dodgeball will be that thing.”

Because teams can include both students and faculty members, the tournament gives the two groups a chance to interact in a causal and informal setting.

The competition will be arranged into a pool-play style. The top two teams from each pool will participate in a single-elimination playoff that will ultimately find a school-wide champion. Pools are likely to be divided according to an estimate of team skill.

Games will take place on the sideways volleyball courts in Taper Gym during break, and four balls are to be used in regulation rules dodgeball.

Eliot and Botwick are anticipating approximately 24 to 40 teams to play.

The dodgeball program started by Botwick and Eliot at the middle school has been a huge success, with many people turning out to watch games during activities period, and they expect the same results this year.